ST. COLUMBA'S Mobile Phone and Electronic Games Policy
This policy was drawn up in response to technological advances, which have seen a significant increase in hand-held electronic devices amongst the school population over recent years. It replaces this school’s original Mobile Phone Policy (2003).
- IPods, mobile phones, Game Boys, PSPs, MP3s etc. are intrusive and distracting in a school environment.
- Strategies must be put in place to reduce the intrusiveness of unauthorised technology in a school situation.
- Some electronic devices may be harmful due to frequent use.
- Mobile phones may be used to conduct bullying campaigns.
Relationship to School Ethos:
The use of mobile phones and other electronic games may contravene the provision of a safe and secure school environment and is not conducive to learning - a provision which is central to the mission statement and ethos of St. Columba’s N.S.
- To minimize intrusions on and distractions to children’s learning.
Internal School Procedures for Pupils:
The following are the guidelines for mobile phone/electronic games usage in the school:
- Children are not allowed to use mobile phones/electronic games during school hours.
- Pupils should not bring mobile phones into school. In exceptional circumstances, and only with parents’ permission (the signed form will be held in the school office), children may be allowed bring a phone on to school premises. Mobile phones should be switched off on entering school grounds. They will be collected by the class teacher each morning and returned before dismissal time in the afternoon. They should not be switched on until children have left the school premises including the yard.
- Children who need to contact home during school hours and parents who need to get a message to their children, may do so through the school secretary using the school landline phone.
- All electronic devices are banned, even during after school activities. The school will not accept responsibility for the loss of or damage to such electronic devices if brought on to school premises.
- Any pupil who brings a mobile phone (without written permission) or electronic game to school risks having it confiscated and not returned until the school day is over. The confiscated item will be returned to the pupil’s parent by the principal.
- Pupils may be permitted a mobile phone on a school outing – on condition that no texting is done and that the phone is used only for an emergency, e.g. to contact parents in the event of a later-than-expected return time to the school.
- Photographs may NOT be taken with camera mobile phones, either on school premises or during a class outing/tour.
Roles and Responsibilities:
All members of staff share in the co-ordination and implementation of this policy.
Evaluation: This policy will be monitored on an ongoing basis and amendments added as new technology comes on stream.
This amended policy will be in place from 1st Sept. 2011.
Reviewed and agreed by Board of Management:
Signed: ____________________________ Date:_____________
Chairperson, Board of Management